Making Sense out of Symptoms- Prostate Cancer | Dr. Udip Maheshwari | Cancer Specialist
Prostate is a male gland with a size and shape that of a walnut, situated below the urinary bladder and just in front of the rectum. Prostate gland plays an important role in the male body i.e. production of semen, a milky fluid that carries sperms from testicles through penis when a man ejaculate. Prostate surrounds the part of the tube called urethra that carries urine out of the bladder and through the penis.
Usually, prostate gland grows in size with the age and sometimes, it squeezes the urethra and can cause problems in passing urine. Some men can have these urinary symptoms as early as into their 30s or 40s and require immediate medical attention. For many men, such symptoms are only identified in much later age. Other than the age, 'Infection to Prostate' or 'Cancer of Prostate' can also cause inflammation or enlargement of Prostate. Individuals with enlargement of prostate gland may experience following symptoms.
- Increased frequency of passing urine
- Sense of urgency of passing urine
- Urge to pass urine during night; also called as Nocturia
- Altered or less urine flow
- Burning sensation while passing urine
- Blood in the Urine or semen
- Painful ejaculation
- Pain in the back or waist bone
It is important to note that not all symptoms that signify abnormal prostate changes are cancer. However, they should be vigilant about these symptoms and they should report these to their doctor for further examination without any delay. There are 3 most common problems related to prostate that an individual may experience as he grows older.
- Inflammation of Prostate (Prostatitis)- It is an inflammation of the prostate gland that may result from Bacterial infection. It is a common condition which affects over 50% men at least once in their lifetime. It is an absolutely treatable and curable condition.
- Enlarged Prostate (Benign Prostate Hyperplasia or BPH)- Hyperplasia signifies abnormal cell growth in the prostate gland however it is not a cancer. The symptoms of Benign Prostate Hyperplasia and Prostate Cancer are similar or common many a times.
- Prostate Cancer- It is typically the cancerous growth in the prostate gland which can be examined and proven on biopsy.
Prostate cancer is a slow growing cancer as compared to most other cancers. The cancerous changes in the cell begin 20-30 years before the tumor grows to a significant size to cause symptoms. Slowly, these cancer cells extend / grow beyond the prostate gland to nearby lymph nodes, bones and organs like Liver, Lungs etc. which can also be termed as metastasis. In India, over 20000 new patients are diagnosed with prostate cancer every year as per the estimates of Globocon and World health organization. Typical symptoms of prostate cancer are already mentioned above for the benefit of the readers.
Dr. Udip Maheshwari
Consultant Medical Oncologist
Mumbai Oncocare Centre, Ghatkopar & Sion
9769861787 | 7677434237